Government funding pot gives £4m to Northumberland to boost economy » SMEInsider

Government funding pot gives £4m to Northumberland to boost economy

The LEADER Programme is giving rural Northumberland £4m to boost its economy. The money is intended to help small businesses, foresters and farmers.

The money will be spread by the Local Action Group, which will be guided by six priorities. These are to:

1.Support micro and small businesses and farm diversification

2.Boost rural tourism

3. Increase farm productivity

4. Increase forestry productivity

5. Provide rural services

6. Provide cultural and heritage activities

The grant will start taking applications in the coming months and will remain open to businesses until 2019.

The £4m will help the foresters, SMEs, farmers and communities to create projects that will create jobs and grow the rural economy.

The main focus of the funding is job creation. Nearly three-quarters of it (70 per cent) will be used to fund projects that create jobs, and the remaining 30 per cent should indirectly support jobs and growth.

“As the LEADER Programme continues to grow, develop, and deliver regeneration projects and community development initiatives, it will remain open and accessible to everyone,” said Councillor Allan Hepple, Northumberland County Council’s cabinet member for economic growth.