As a business owner or entrepreneur, there will be times when you’re feeling low and seeking motivation. Here is a selection of our favourite inspirational quotes from world leaders, business icons and entrepreneurial experts to help you out in times of crisis.
1. Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm. – Winston Churchill.
There are hundreds of quotes to choose from when looking for inspiration from Churchill, but this has to be one of the best from one of our greatest wartime leaders.
2. Success in business requires training and discipline and hard work. But if you’re not frightened by these things, the opportunities are just as great today as they ever were. – David Rockefeller.
One man who definitely has the authority to talk about success in business is David Rockefeller. He is the oldest living member of the Rockefeller family and is worth close to $3 billion.
3.Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it – Maya Angelou.
Wise words from Maya Angelou, one of the world’s most influential writers. Angelou constantly touched on themes of success, freedom and happiness. In January 1993 Angelou recited her poem ‘On the Pulse of Morning’ at President Bill Clinton’s inauguration.
4. You have to trust in something – your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life. – Steve Jobs.
One of the biggest figures in business, Steve Jobs constantly put his trust in his ideas and in his products, which is why Apple is one of the world’s most iconic brands.
5. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. – Mark Twain.
Seize every opportunity is the key message here from Mark Twain, the legendary American author, who is best known for Tom Sawyer and its sequel, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.
6. The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra. – Jimmy Johnson.
Short, but certainly sweet from Jimmy Johnson. For all you American fans out there, you will know that Johnson won the NFL Super Bowl twice with the Dallas Cowboys.
7. I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work. – Thomas A. Edison.
Who knows what life would have been like if Edison gave up with his inventions? He’s telling all of us to never give up, even if it’s easier to fail. Some sound advice from the man who invented the lightbulb and the world’s first movie camera.
8. Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life – think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. Let the brain, muscles, nerves, every part of your body, be full of that idea, and just leave every other idea alone. This is the way to success. – Swami Vivekananda.
In order to be successful, you have to be completely devoted to your business idea, says Vivekananda, who was a renowned Indian Hindu monk who shared his wisdom throughout the 19th Century. His idea still holds strong today.
Every small business owner will come into contact with an unsatisfied customer during their career, but don’t take it too personally.
Turn the negative experience into a positive and see it as a learning experience. Where did you go wrong? How could you improve your service? Something to think about, courtesy of Microsoft’s founder.
10. Nothing is particularly hard if you divide it into small jobs. – Henry Ford.
Compartmentalisation is key in today’s small business world, where you have a million-and-one things to do. Some practical advice from the founder of the iconic Ford Motor Company.